Truth Warrior

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Prayer: Lifestyle Discipline

I am no expert on the mater of prayer, but my understanding of it is that it should be a lifestyle, and a discipline. Once I was challenged with this question; “When someone shares a burden with you do you say, ‘I’ll pray for you.’ and later forget to pray for that specific request?” Since we, as Christians have instant access to the throne of God through the one mediator Jesus Christ, why not say, “Can I pray with you about that now?” We can, and should come to our Creator with all kinds of prayer at any and all times. The Bible says, “Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.” (Phil. 4:6) However, to have a quiet disciplined time alone with God to read His Word and to pray is of much value too.

Notice Daniel’s discipline, "Now when Daniel knew that the writing was signed, he went into his house; and his windows being open in his chamber toward Jerusalem, he kneeled upon his knees three times a day, and prayed, and gave thanks before his God, as he did aforetime." (Dan. 6: 10)

One may say, “Wasn’t Daniel the chap who was thrown into the lions den for praying?” Yes, but remember man is born to trouble as surely as sparks fly upward. This is a true proverb, as you may know, weather one prays or not. Daniel was in a situation that, putting it mildly, was inconvenient, uncomfortable, unusual, and potentially dangerous. Armed, as he was, with the attitude of prayer, he prayed and God gave the hungry beasts sleep.

God communicates to us through His Word the Bible, therefore let us read it as often as we can. Prayer is talking to God. Pray often (any time, any place, and in a specific time at a specific place). Ask God to show you what He wants you to know about Himself, through His Word. If your complete trust is in the resurrected Christ of the Bible alone, you are a child of God, and He delights in listening to you!

4 Comments:

  • Thanks for the comment on my blog. Yours looks pretty serious. Keep up the good work. I'll pray for you and your family. I would appreciate any prayers you had for me.
    God bless!

    By Blogger father michael, at 30/8/05 10:15 PM  

  • Mike,
    I AM serious about the things of God. He is so awesome.
    Judging by your profile, it seems like you are pretty serious about God, too.
    I will "keep up the good work", but not count on my own works to get me to heaven!

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 31/8/05 11:12 PM  

  • J. Wendell,
    It is good to have found your blog. I will come back here as I am irresistibly drawn.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/9/05 10:00 PM  

  • Mike, come back anytime! Feel free to visit on your own free will or whenever the spirit moves you.

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 2/9/05 9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Who Links Here