Truth Warrior

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

I Am Preparing to Re-enter

I was delightfully ignored by one of my customers one sunny morning as I was delivering my mail route. He is the cranky aged type ... a real killjoy. You know what I am talking about ... the kind of person that is not a kind person. I heard him yelling one day at the paperboy who apparently didn’t get the paper to its precise location which he had told them about “hundreds of times!” I have been scolded by this non-gentleman on occasion for delivering too much "#*@%>#*% junk mail;” he was serious, too. On this particular sunny morning I made my way past him without a peep. He was so busy doing something in his car. His car was parked in the driveway, and he was behaving like a teenager intently hooking up a new stereo, or C.B. radio. Who knows what he was doing? Who cares? Perhaps he is a speeder and just got the latest radar detector. At any rate, I escaped his sneers and foul language for the moment. I joyfully continued my route, up one side of the street and back down the other side wondering why I was not verbally accosted by my “charming” client. I observed that he was still working on that whosamadozel. “What a day…” I thought, providence protected me from an insult today, “…thank you Jesus for the small things in life as well as the rally great things.”

Still noticing this crotchety old man laying down under his dashboard for at least 2 or 3 minutes made me wonder what he was up to. “Is it worth the risk to ask him?” “How would I approach him?” As I pondered these deep philosophical musings, I did not detect any noticeable movement. “Did he get an electrical jolt?” I thought. I became worried and for some unknown reason I felt a sense of urgency. I ran to him. Seeing no tools I asked him if he was OK. Sitting up he said, “I am preparing to re-enter.” Then he slumped over. I had to act fast, “Quick! Call 911!” I shouted with authority into the air. “Lord, give me wisdom!” I cried out loud to the One who is an ever-present help in time of need. Rushing to the nearest neighbor’s house, I threw caution to the wind. Ringing the doorbell and pleading “…call 9-1-1… it's Mr. ---- he needs help. Assured that help was on the way, I returned to my helpless friend. When the EMS arrived and I knew I did all I could do, it was time to get out of the way of these professionals.

A few weeks passed, and my friend got back home. He was very grateful that I got help to him. “Are you the one that found me?” he asked. “Yes sir.” I replied, “Are you alright?” “I am now… thanks to you.” I was humbled. Still I enquired of his expression, “I am preparing to re-enter.” He did not remember uttering those words. I will not soon forget. Every time I have seen him since that day he always had a kind word and even said thank you for the “business mail”. Our paradigm, or our outlook, was dramatically changed, permanently altered. I had a new friend, a new opportunity to speak openly of my God, who gave me the wisdom to get help, who granted wisdom to the EMS team. This is the true God who loves us and wants us to live the abundant life.

I am preparing to re-enter.

Stay Salty...

Brother John

11 Comments:

  • John, Thanks for this post. I really enjoyed reading it. I remember when this happened. I am looking forward to your re-entry.

    By Blogger Rose~, at 29/11/06 12:46 PM  

  • Thanks brother Chris,
    You are so kind.

    We will finish the course "Seeing Jesus in the Old Testament" this Sunday, if God permits. I will have one final session after that to circle back and make sure all our basses were covered and that every one has an opportunity for Q&A. Have your Questions ready. Rose and I may have a new addition soon after.

    Brother Bruce has assured me that he has been preparing a series launching from some materials by Josh McDowell that will fit in well with what we have covered in class already. I am not at liberty to say much more than that just now. Knowing Bruce it will be a great time of stretching and growing. Bruce truly knows my heart for our ABF and the direction God seems to be leading. As you know he is a good teacher, father, and follower of our Lord.

    Then, we are looking into the possibility of brother Chad teaching a seven week course exposing the cults. If all the stars are lined up ;~) it promises to be very instructive. In the Summer I hope to continue to teaching The One Another’s and giving room and opportunities for others to open the Word up for us as well. I will also be preparing for the fall semester. In the mean time I will continue to Blog, etc. etc.

    Thanks for all your encouragement. Your wife Stacey is faithful in making sure our room is prepared for the teacher and comfortable for the learners. You two are a great asset to our ABF and true friends in Christ.

    Brother John

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 29/11/06 5:25 PM  

  • Hi Rose~
    Thanks for reading and commenting here.

    I hope to publish a book on the ECB by Fred Whitman soon. This will give me more time to get caught up with some other things.

    Pinewood Derby!

    Love ya,
    Brother John

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 29/11/06 5:37 PM  

  • A Great and moving testimony. Good to see you back.

    By Blogger Bhedr, at 29/11/06 10:13 PM  

  • John,

    what was his problem?

    By Blogger Antonio, at 29/11/06 10:22 PM  

  • Hi Brian,
    Thanks brother I am anxious to get going again too.

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 30/11/06 5:59 AM  

  • Hi Antonio,
    It’s nice to see you here. He had some sort of heart failure due to stress.

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 30/11/06 6:03 AM  

  • John, great post. What a turnaround, God opened a wide door for you to minister into this mans life.

    Praise the Lord!

    By Blogger Jim, at 30/11/06 10:31 AM  

  • John, what a moving and gripping story. I'm going to be away from blogging myself shortly for similar reasons -- teaching a Sunday School class starting this Sunday. I can't fully blog and prepare classes at the same time. So if I don't visit as often, that's why. I enjoy your wit and wisdom.

    By Blogger Earl Flask, at 30/11/06 11:39 AM  

  • Hi Jim,
    It is not uncommon for the Lord to open doors. What is more common is when we (Greek for I) don’t recognize them. I was content to go on my merry own way. Apparently God was working in my life too. He had His reasons.

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 1/12/06 3:43 PM  

  • Earl,
    I will be praying for you brother. If one is called to teach he is called to prepare. May our Lord bless your preparation time and class time.

    In His fellowship,
    brother John

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 1/12/06 3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Who Links Here