Truth Warrior

Friday, June 23, 2006

Understanding, Discovering, and Exercising Your Spiritual Gifts:Understanding (part 1)

Understanding

Maturity, maturity in Christ, is a bit different from the little boy’s attitude that was overheard prying, “Lord if you can’t make be become a better boy… don’t worry about it! I’m having a good time the way I am.” Yes Jesus loves us and wants us to come “…just as I am”, but He loves us enough NOT to let us be content to stay that way. He wants us to grow. I am convinced that we will grow as believers as we learn to understand, discover and exercise our spiritual gift/s.

The question we want an answer for here is “What are Spiritual Gifts?” The Words employed in the N.T. are found in the following verses:


As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God. (1Pet. 4:10)

For I long to see you, that I may impart unto you some spiritual gift, to the end ye may be established; (Rom. 1:11)

Therefore you do not lack any spiritual gift as you eagerly wait for our Lord Jesus Christ to be revealed. (1Cor. 1:7 NIV)

Do not neglect the spiritual gift within you, which was bestowed on you through prophetic utterance with the laying on of hands by the presbytery. (1Tim. 4:14 NASB)


The first word we will look at is charisma (5486) it means a gift of grace. It is an undeserved benefit from God. It is derived from the Greek word charis, meaning grace, and the suffix -ma, indicates the result of grace bestowed to an individual. Interestingly the root word is chara, and the meaning is joy. It follows that there should be, in my view, joy in discovery and use of ones spiritual gift/s.

Vine’s Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words says, “... a gift of grace, a gift involving grace (charis) on the part of God as the donor, is used... of His endowments upon believers by the operation of the Holy Spirit in the churches, Rom. 12:6; 1Cor. 1:7; 12:4, 9, 28, 30, 31; 1Tim.4:14; 2Tim.1:6; 1Pet. 4:10;”

The second word is pneumatikos (4152) it is used in the plural tense and could be translated as “spirituals”.

Thayer’s Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament states, “...belonging to the Divine Spirit;... in reference to persons; one who is filled with and governed by the Spirit of God...”

Vine’s adds this insight, “pneumatikos, always connotes the ideas of invisibility and of power. It does not occur in the [Septuagint (LXX)] nor in the Gospels; it is, in fact, an after-Pentecost word.” Vine’s continues “...things that have their origin with God, and which, therefore, are in harmony with His Character, as His law is, are “spiritual”, Rom. 7:14; ...[believers] appointed activities in the churches are also called “spiritual gifts”, lit., “spiritualities”, 1Cor. 12:1; 14:1; (Boldface, mine)

These are the two primary words employed in the NT when it comes to spiritual gifts there is more to come in my next post. For the sake of time and interest this is as far as we will get today. I hope it is enough to stir your thoughts and get us thinking about understanding, discovering, and exercising your spiritual gifts.

Brother John

11 Comments:

  • Amen!

    You know brother, have you ever listened to the Pineapple Story from Gothards group(Both FGr's as well as Lorship crowd have given him some grief) but don't let that scare you away from Otto Konans story. You see even though he had left for the mission field and thought he had followed Christ whole heartedly, he would soon discover that he still couldn't do what the rich young ruler was asked. He grew each day in an understanding of what grace was as well as fell under chastening by use of the very natives he was ministering too. It is an excellent story. Listen to it some time. He did grow through it and that is the ultimate end.

    I am becoming more and more convinced that we are all like him(both camps FG and Lordship) many of us have come to faith, yet we are all struggling to understand what has happened to us and each of us gets slivers at a time. I know I will get critisized probably for harmonizing law with grace...but we are all legalists learning to trust in God each day when you think about it. When we first came to faith, we started on a journey and we are all growing and grasping truths from differant angles. Listen to the Pineapple Story some time. It really helps break this open.

    By Blogger Bhedr, at 23/6/06 9:59 PM  

  • Perhaps I will get some grief too.

    I will have to revisit it. I have met Otto he is a very delightful man of God, and I respect his work. The Pineapple Story is a book that graces my bookshelf and a few years back someone donated the video to EBC library.

    I do not always agree with Bill Gothard either, but his basic seminar has blessed me and Rose in many ways. I did not care so much for the advanced seminar, but I still learned something I think.

    Just to be clear I do not live in either “camp” ;~) but I love my brothers (and sisters) in both camps unconditionally.

    Here is a question I may need clarified though, is one by virtue of non participation and disagreeing with Lordship Salvation automatically a free grace guy?

    BTW what about this post, what do you think?

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 24/6/06 7:54 AM  

  • No, because there are differences between the views of Zane Hodges/ Bob Wilkin and those like Charles Ryrie who take a more traditional Dispensational view of salvation. A key dividing issue is repentance and also the nature of faith. Those in the Ryrie camp are less inclined to take a minimalist approach to saving faith.

    Every Blessing in Christ

    Matthew

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at 24/6/06 8:29 AM  

  • Ah Ha! I am affirmed in being a Ryrien then! ;~)

    What about this post?

    What do you think about this post?

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 24/6/06 9:32 AM  

  • I generally do not comment on issues relating to the orignal languages.

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at 24/6/06 12:37 PM  

  • Fair enough.

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 24/6/06 1:14 PM  

  • Maybe I will have to check out some stuff by Ryrie. I may be somewhere near him. Is he the same guy that has the Ryrie study Bible?

    Well anyway, my point of mentioning the Pineapple Story was to tell how I think God wants us to Grow and how he helps us grow. You see when Otto left for the missionfield he thought Jesus was Lord of his life. That is the whole part about Lordship salvation I guess...it is unwittingly dishonest with God. You see brother I don't think they do this on purpose. I didn't do it on purpose myself. Just like Otto, we have to discover that we have not even come close to doing what the Rich Young Ruler had been asked to do. In fact Peter was dishonest with God when he said he had left all to follow him. Anyway Otto was saved all along. He just had to learn. Some Free grace guys have got to learn a few things as well. The Pineapple Story also puts Chastening on a personal level and in a deep intimate level. I really wish more people would listen to it. Both Camps. It would be helpful to all of us.

    Here is a link to it> The Pineapple Story
    BTW, Otto is another Friend of Dads from Bob Jones. Can you believe it. He knew MacArthur, Otto, Tim Lahaye along with others, way back when. Its kinda funny how time tells. BJ was Mecca at one time I think. Perhaps it still is:-)

    You know concering tongues. I am a conservative continuationist with a strong affirmation of cessation of Scripture. Some of the gifts may still be used where the need is greater and less gospel light is available...but faith must come by the word of God. So I am very careful not to run off into rabbit trails and sensationalism.

    By Blogger Bhedr, at 24/6/06 5:48 PM  

  • BTW John,

    I may go get my coleman stove, fishing tackle, sleeping bag and come join you. Can we have a makeshift sunrise service by the lake in the morning and discuss these pressing "Camp Out" issues?

    By Blogger Bhedr, at 24/6/06 5:56 PM  

  • BTW,

    >It follows that there should be, in my view, joy in discovery and use of ones spiritual gift/s.<

    Amen. Joy is at the heart of it all. Chario is what Jesus said after rising from the tomb. The NKJV translates it "Rejoice!"

    We must stop robbing men and women of their joy. It is a most blessed thing to discover.

    I know you meant this in respect to spiritual gifts as well, but I think it all continues to ember and grow within us.

    By Blogger Bhedr, at 24/6/06 6:50 PM  

  • Bhedr~
    Yes, Ryrie has a fine study Bible.

    Thanks for that link, and summary of the pineapple story I do recommend it for anyone.

    I think your right about the Lordship salvation model of John MacArthur. I don't throw out the baby with the bath water. In fact I used some of his material in this study (in the discovery section).

    We can stay up late telling godly stories and in the morning I'll fix pancakes, oatmeal, and fish tails.

    Joy to you!

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 25/6/06 5:45 AM  

  • Thanks for them pancakes!

    What a joyus sunday. I had two children receive Christ this morning in Jr Church.

    Praise God.

    By Blogger Bhedr, at 25/6/06 2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Who Links Here