Truth Warrior

Sunday, August 06, 2006

THE BIBLE STANDS

“The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the Word of our God shall stand forever.” Isaiah 40:8

Words & Music: Hal­dor Lil­le­nas

The tune

The Bible stands like a rock undaunted
’Mid the raging storms of time;
Its pages burn with the truth eternal,
And they glow with a light sublime.

Refrain

The Bible stands though the hills may tumble,
It will firmly stand when the earth shall crumble;
I will plant my feet on its firm foundation,
For the Bible stands.

The Bible stands like a mountain towering
Far above the works of men;
Its truth by none ever was refuted,
And destroy it they never can.

Refrain

The Bible stands and it will forever,
When the world has passed away;
By inspiration it has been given,
All its precepts I will obey.

Refrain

The Bible stands every test we give it,
For its Author is divine;
By grace alone I expect to live it,
And to prove and to make it mine.

Refrain

With Bib­li­cal truth un­der in­tense at­tack from mod­ern cul­ture, it’s sad that most hymn­als have dropped this song. We need to be re­mind­ed of its mes­sage.

6 Comments:

  • It is such a shame that hymns exalting the Word have mostly been forgotten.

    I was not aware of this one.

    God Bless

    Matthew

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at 6/8/06 9:46 AM  

  • The Bible Stands is one of my all time favorites. Another hymn that me and my kids have learned by heart is Jesus Loves Me. Most modern Hymnals have only three of the verses instead of all six.

    Matthew~ I agree with you even though some modern hymns are very theological, there will probably be many light and full of fluff (not good stuff) songs that have a nice feeling that are more popular.

    Chris~
    Brother thanks for saying so, our class is a delight to teach because the majority of us want to learn and grow, and are already serving our Master in many capacities in our church and in our community. I really don't need to beg anyone or twist arms to motivate to serve. I had this thought today after our lesson, “I can’t think of anyone in our class that is not serving in some area of our church…” Even the new couples have been serving here and there. Can you think of anyone who is not serving in some area (with out mentioning names)?

    I count my self blessed to be a piece of this very active segment of the body of Christ. You too are a good example of building one another up. Thanks Chris, for being an energetic participant in our ABF.

    BTW I like links too.

    His grace your way,
    Brother John

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 6/8/06 7:40 PM  

  • Man, I haven't heard this hymn in years. What a shame that it is rarely, if ever, sung any more.

    By Blogger Gordon, at 7/8/06 10:06 PM  

  • GC,
    It is a shame, one would think with all the hi-tech influence in the churches this one would make it to the front screen with power point now and then.

    Thankfully our church still sings this one and many other fine psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs.

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 8/8/06 5:21 AM  

  • Wow John this is great. I don't think I have heard this hymn.....

    There is a song like this that Steve Camp wrote that cemented in my mind forever Psalm 138:2 on the Abandoned to God CD. I love songs like that that exalt the Word.

    By Blogger Shawn, at 10/8/06 12:42 AM  

  • Shawn,
    I agree with you, I enjoy hymns that exalt the Lord and His Word. I am reminded of Ephesians 5:18-20 and Colossians 3:15-17.

    I was very impressed with brother Steve, after an evening service at our church he encouraged me to get a copy of that CD. Then he gave me a copy "to minister" to my heart.

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 10/8/06 6:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Who Links Here