Truth Warrior

Sunday, July 23, 2006

IMMORTAL, INVISIBLE, GOD ONLY WISE

Words: Wal­ter C. Smith, Hymns of Christ and the Christ­ian Life, 1876.

Music: St. Den­io, Welsh mel­o­dy, from Can­ai­dau y Cyssegr, by John Ro­berts, 1839

Tune: click here

Immortal, invisible, God only wise,
In light inaccessible hid from our eyes,
Most blessèd, most glorious, the Ancient of Days,
Almighty, victorious, Thy great Name we praise.

Unresting, unhasting, and silent as light,
Nor wanting, nor wasting, Thou rulest in might;
Thy justice, like mountains, high soaring above
Thy clouds, which are fountains of goodness and love.

To all, life Thou givest, to both great and small;
In all life Thou livest, the true life of all;
We blossom and flourish as leaves on the tree,
And wither and perish—but naught changeth Thee.

Great Father of glory, pure Father of light,
Thine angels adore Thee, all veiling their sight;
But of all Thy rich graces this grace, Lord, impart
Take the veil from our faces, the vile from our heart.

All laud we would render; O help us to see
’Tis only the splendor of light hideth Thee,
And so let Thy glory, Almighty, impart,
Through Christ in His story, Thy Christ to the heart.

5 Comments:

  • I just posted the same hymn on my blog this weekend. :) I used the "real" hymnal version since that's what I know instead of the cyberhymnal.org version. The way I learned it combined the last two verses (the "real" hymnal version), but I like the lines I had not heard before.

    By Blogger Angie, at 23/7/06 8:05 AM  

  • Wow that is a good one.

    Do you guys use cyberhymnal in your family worship? I used to because we didn't know how to sing some of the stuff without background music. Sometimes it's hard though to sit around a computer.

    Now we just use hymnals and our churches family worship booklets (I think it would be cool if more churches had these in their congregations to encourage family worship with hymns and songs that are sung on Sunday).

    They are on version 3 so we have alot to work from now.

    It works best if we let my wife start out the song or I fail miserably. It's kind of funny when I do worship with the kids apart from my wife. They kids don't like the songs as much as I can't recall the tune very well. It's a joyful noise but definitely a noise

    By Blogger Shawn, at 23/7/06 12:17 PM  

  • >Take the veil from our faces, the vile from our heart.<

    Amen!

    By Blogger Bhedr, at 23/7/06 9:14 PM  

  • Hi Angie,

    I admit when I steal ideas from others (most of the time), I promise I acted independently on this one I like your version (here) and the Psalm at the end is a nice touch.

    Interestingly, brother Joe also posted the same hymn for his Sunday Praise here. BTW I stole the idea of posting a hymn on Sunday from him, but not this hymn.

    Is God trying to tell us something?

    Shawn,
    We do our best to sing it from the Worship Book hymnal.

    Brian,
    Yes! Amen!

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 24/7/06 6:08 AM  

  • John, that is very interesting! I guess that was this weekend's song of praise to God in our part of the blogosphere. I started to think about the hymn on Wednesday, I think, and started to think about it more at work on Friday. We were playing on the playground with the kids at work and I told one of the kids that we, the leaders, are not omniscient! One of the other kids piped in and used the word "omnipotent", not understanding the difference in meaning. I resisted the temptation to throw in "omnipresent" as a bonus vocabulary word for him, but it certainly turned my focus on the immortal, invisible, only wise God.

    By Blogger Angie, at 24/7/06 7:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Who Links Here