Truth Warrior

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

The Incommunicable Attributes of God: Self Existence

There is a temptation on my part to settle the great debate over God's governing attribute; is it love or is it holiness? Instead of ending this debate once and for all (since it is one of those debates that will go on and on this side of heaven). I opted as an alternative to begin with the incommunicable; natural or non-moral; imminent or intransitive; absolute; personality; negative; passive attributes... better put…

The attributes which are only true of God

I will leave these posts up for a while for three reasons,

1. For the purpose that we may have time to contemplate each one.

2. So I am not spending undue time sitting at the computer when I have other things that must be attended to.

3. Because I am lazy.

_________________

The Self Existence of God

God's self existence means that God is not dependent on anything outside of Himself, and He is self sufficient in His whole being. The ground of God’s existence is Himself. Let this truth sink in deep. One will soon ask, "Where did my pride go?"

Scripture
And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you. (Ex. 3:14)

For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself; And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man. (John 5:26-27)

God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands; Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things... (Acts 17:24-25; This is in the context of Paul's sermon on Mars Hill. I think I shall open my Bible now, and read the whole sermon.)

Application
This truth means that God is also the cause of our own existence, as taught by Ps. 36:9 and we should honor Him as such.

God, I ask that I may be receptive and obedient to the Words your mouth, in Jesus Name, Amen.

2 Comments:

  • "God's self existence means that God is not dependent on anything outside of Himself, and He is self sufficient in His whole being. The ground of God’s existence is Himself."

    Grudem spends a good amount of time on this thought too.

    Hard to believe that many pastors preach that God created man because he needed the fellowship.

    Hmmm.

    By Blogger mark pierson, at 3/4/07 11:48 AM  

  • I like the way Mark Hall from Casting Crowns puts it: "How refreshing to know you don't need me, how amazing to find that you want me."

    Good to see you out and about a bit John.

    By Blogger Only Look, at 7/4/07 10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Who Links Here