Truth Warrior

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The Attributes that Are True of God Alone: Unity

Unity

The attribute of unity means that God is One, God is numerically one and as such He is unique. This doctrine stresses the oneness of God, and the unicity of God, and the singularity of God. This does not violate the concept of the Trinity, instead it emphasizes that God is one in essence, though He is distinct in subsistence.*

Scripture
Unto thee it was shewed, that thou mightest know that the LORD he is God; there is none else beside him. (Deut. 4:35)

Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD... (Deut. 6:4)

See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand. (Deut. 32:39)

That all the people of the earth may know that the LORD is God, and that there is none else. (1Kings 8:60)

Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God. (Is. 44:6)

I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me... (Is. 45:5)

And the LORD shall be king over all the earth: in that day shall there be one LORD, and his name one. (Zech. 14:9)

And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent. (John 17:3)

As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one.For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,) But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him. (1Cor. 8:4-6)

Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen. (1Tim. 1:17)

For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; (1Tim. 2:5)

Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble. (James 2:19)

Application
This should give us a consciousness of Whom it is that we worship, and we should worship Him alone.

* When I post on the Trinity I will demonstrate three and only three distict persons of the One essence.

Stay salty,
Brother John

3 Comments:

  • Hi John,

    Along these lines, the Islamists look at us as infidels because, and no matter how carefully we explain our position, they think we preach that there are three god's.

    Then there are the Oneness Pentecostals, Modalists, who teach God appears in different "modes" at various times.

    Good post.

    By Blogger mark pierson, at 10/4/07 1:05 PM  

  • John,

    The Trinity is a concept so clearly laid out in Scripture that I cannot understand how anyone can deny it.

    It is so mysterious that I cannot understand how anyone can understand it.

    As brilliant as I am, I have never been able to figure it out and have been forced to take the Bible's word for it by faith.

    It works!

    By Blogger Joe, at 10/4/07 3:08 PM  

  • Hi Brother Blue,
    The doctrine of the Trinity is one of my favorites; I will approach this wonderful doctrine with vigor.
    _________________

    Hi Brother Joe,
    I can tell you have the doctrine of the Trinity mastered. I couldn’t have said it any better so once again I will have to quote you when I get to that series. You always give me the best ideas.

    In His fellowship,
    Brother John

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 11/4/07 1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Who Links Here