Truth Warrior

Sunday, October 05, 2008

THE SUN AND THE WIND

ONE day the sun and the wind had a quarrel. The wind said, "I am stronger than you." "No," said the sun, "I am stronger than you."
While they were disputing they saw a traveler coming along the road. He wore a heavy coat.
"See that man!" cried the wind. "Let us see which of us can take off his coat. The one who can do that is the stronger."
"Agreed," said the sun. "You may begin."
The wind blew and blew and blew. But the traveler only drew his coat closer about him.
The wind now blew more fiercely than before. The trees rocked, and the dust flew, but the traveler only buttoned up his coat.
"What a gale this is!" cried he, and turned up his coat collar to his ears.
"I give it up," said the wind.
Then the sun had his turn. He shone and shone and shone.
"How the weather has changed," said the traveler, and he unbuttoned his coat.
Still the sun shone, and presently the traveler wiped the moisture from his face.
"This thick coat is too much for me; I will have to take it off and carry it on my arm," said he, and he took it off.
"You have won," said the wind. "I see now that gentleness succeeds where rudeness fails."

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Who Links Here