Truth Warrior

Thursday, September 29, 2005

How to Approach the Scriptures (Part 2)

I have mentioned in the previous post the Soteriological and the Christological approach to the Scriptures. These two are certainly popular and increasing in Christendom they each in there own stride have some strengths. I personally uphold the Doxological approach. Why? Glad this question came to your mind, the Doxological approach seeks to understand how Scriptures relate to God’s glory, or putting it another way, it views God’s glory in every text. It is by far the best approach and I aim to defend it here and at every turn. This is not at all in rebellion to my heritage as a former Presbyterian; I do come from a long line going back to the Scottish Reformation. It is because of the conviction derived from the evidence of objective truth found in the Bible.

The Doxological approach is best because it is not limited to one specific “plan” or “program” or “purpose” and therefore is free to examine every portion of Scripture as it relates to the glory of God and that is the way it should be. Not only in areas of Soteriology and Christology but in the wider range of Bible doctrine. God does not have just one program (eg. the salvation of mankind). He is concerned with Israel and also the Gentiles; Salvation and His church; Government and human conduct, the whole of His creation Visible and invisible. The Orthodox approach does not strain at a nat then attempt to swallow a camel. It follows a plain or normal hermeneutic (interpretation). Let me explain, there are mainly two methods of hermeneutics, and here lies the greatest divide between biblical thinking Christians today. Both start with Sola Scriptura as a premise, but as we will see this is where the two schools of thought end in similarity.

The Allegorical method of interpretation produces covenant theology and visa versa. Desiring to see Christ, or His plan of salvation for mankind, the allegorical interpreter must seek a deeper hidden meaning. I would love to go on a rabbit trail and discuss Origins trichotomy of man theory and how it affects this method, but I will refrain (perhaps another post or as questions and comments dictates) for now. The Allegorical method can be found as early as 200 AD from Alexandrian school of thought.

The plain or normal (not necessarily literal) method of interpretation produces Dispensational Theology and not the other way around. Each text is unfolded consistently in its plain or normal rendering. Seeking nothing but God’s glory, it too can be found as early as 200 AD from the Antiochene school of thought. This is the Doxological approach!

The later is the best approach because it is Grammatical: considers all the parts of the grammar in each text treated. Historical: considers the historical background of each text treated. Theological: considers the teachings of God in each text treated.

There are four prerequisites for proper interpretation, first you must be saved, second you must depend on the Holy Spirit as your teacher, thirdly you must be teachable, and finally you must be willing to obey. These are prerequisites NOT guarantees. The correct interpretation depends on these requirements with out them… FORGET IT! Even with them it is still possible for one to make mistakes. That’s why we interpret grammatically, historically, and theologically; according to the immediate and wider contexts and in harmony with the whole Bible comparing Scripture with Scripture. There are some difficulties with this approach, but it is the most reliable way to get the best out of ones study in the most important Book, the Bible.

9 Comments:

  • I've been waiting for this one. Will save and read later. Going camping.

    JRush

    By Blogger John R., at 29/9/05 10:34 AM  

  • John-

    Thanks for your patience, enjoy your trip, send me a tape of your Sunday evening tag team it sound good! Be safe.

    In His care at all times

    J. Wendell

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 29/9/05 12:06 PM  

  • John,
    this is a well written article. Now, when are you going to address all the unbelievers' ways of looking at the scriptures? :~)
    By the way, I think you dealt well with the atheist that commented on your "Biblical Authority" post. Now I need to get back to work and finish the bulletin. This blogging thing is terribly addictive. Love ya!

    By Blogger Rose~, at 29/9/05 2:31 PM  

  • Rose,

    Thanks again for your encouragement. As for the differing attitudes toward the Scriptures...I'm not sure. I think I'll have to circle back to that some time after the Biblical Distinctiives of Baptists. I should try to stay more on task.

    lovingly,
    John

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 29/9/05 3:33 PM  

  • John,

    Hello brother in Christ. Very well written, however I would have to say I tend to go the sort of go a bit different direction in some respects, except I do feel that Doxological approach was a very awesome way to put it. However I wouldn't think dispensational thought is exactly has the handle on Doxological approach at least in my experience.

    Please forgive me for disagreeing I'm not the biggest fan of dispensational thought usually, but I'm not excessively disagreeable about it either like so many. Please forgive me for awkward wording. I don't know how to put this exactly.

    Here's my take on it though.. normally. (Sorry copied from another discussion with Vossed World) I need to get to my nightly bible reading and I thought copying it would be helpful as it was what I thought yesterday and hey I probably believe very similar to yesterday....

    I would have to say I see mostly a unity of the scriptures, however there is some things with Hebrews that show a new and living covenant that is different so the traditional covenant theologian may not view it exactly as me, however I'm closer to new covenant theologian mixed with some covenantal theological background.

    I don't know what I am but I know I am not a traditional dispensationalist, but more think like a new covenant theologian like D. A. Carson or covenant theologian. I think D.A. Carson has some good thoughts on this considering Hebrews 9 and the change in the priesthood I think.

    Also I see the scriptures when I read them talking of Zion/Israel/etc and many times referring to the body of believers in general in the fullfillment of Christ, however that is not always the case.

    I can bring much doxology to God in my bible reading when I can see the connection that God has made to the promise of Christ's salvation of preaching to the dead bones and making them alive again and God taking a heart of stone into a heart of flesh and also the promise of Israel in the Hope of Heaven. I like the new testament saints see that God has made these promises to the christian (whether jew or greek).

    Through the promises to Israel, however having said that the word "Israel" doesn't always mean the new testament church, but to me it tends in the context seem to show Israel to mean believers.

    MOST IMPORTANT POINT IF I TALKED TOO MUCH BEFORE

    I do however see a big unity of the Bible when I read in the Bible I see the GOSPEL on every page. By that I mean the greatness of God, the sinfulness of humans and the Grace of God to save Sinners.


    I see a "Christ hermeneutic" more than anything if that is a word.

    Another important point. I also find it very interesting to do this when I read the new testament authors referring to the old testament. That is how we are to view the old testament I believe. I think very little emphasis on how to view the bible is looked at how the Apostles and early Christians saw the old testament...

    My favorite quote in the new testament referring to how to view the old testament is from Jesus who says to Nicodemus when referring to being born again.

    "Are you the teacher of Israel and yet you do not understand these things?"

    I think there is a wrong way to view the old testament and Jesus really touches on that there.


    John,
    Back to my thoughts today. Please note that I respect and love to listen to many dispensationalists like MacArthur and Swindoll and others, however I tend to agree more with leaky dispensationalists who think that believers believe in Jesus as Lord and Savior. I think the soteriology of some dispensationalists is sometimes questionable, but I know we are all growing in Grace..

    Blessings to you in Christ and please feel free to disagree and sharpen iron in love for the Lord,

    Shawn Lynes

    By Blogger Shawn, at 29/9/05 10:01 PM  

  • John,

    Please forgive one of my statements. Here's what I meant to say..


    Through the promises to Israel, however having said that the word "Israel" doesn't always mean the new testament church, but to me it tends in some instances in the context seem to show Israel to mean believers.

    By Blogger Shawn, at 29/9/05 10:04 PM  

  • Brother Shawn,

    God bless you! You have brought up many good points and I whole heartily agree, there certainly is a unity in the Scriptures, this unity is well seen through the diversity. This observation may sound confusing to some readers so indulge me to explain this first then, if God permits, I will move on to some finer points to bring it together.

    As you may know one of the four wonders of the Bible is its formation. The formation illustrates diversity in unity and visa versa. Examples of this are numerous they include: the 66 books of the canon(recognized books) written over a span of 1,6oo years; By around 40 authors (I won't list them here); In three known languages; Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek; It was written in at least 3 different places: Israel, Babylon, and Egypt; The writers of the Bible were of at least 11 different occupations, including kings, farmers, fishermen, soldiers, priests, tax collector, statesmen, prophets, shepherds, and M.D. Not to mention no less than 8 literary forms (D.A. Carson's book "Exegetical Fallacies" is very helpful in understanding this aspect fuller) these are narration, biography poetry, proverb, drama, sermons, psalms and letters (epistles) context as always is the key. These aspects of the formation of the Bible constitute a wonder because they demonstrate a vast diversity and yet maintains unity with harmony and not one of them contradicts the other.

    You have also correctly identified another basic difficulty and that is what do we do with Israel? I intend to address this issue, but I beg your patience with me as I am now way past my bed time and I have a heavy schedule this weekend. Thank you for your forthrightness in disagreeing with me I look forward to getting back to this discussion A.S.A.P.

    Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out! "Who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has been his counselor?" "Who has ever given to God, that God should repay him?" For from him and through him and to him are all things.
    To him be the glory forever! Amen. (Rom. 11:33-36)

    In His trust, your brother,

    John

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 30/9/05 12:52 AM  

  • It seems to me that the Christological, Soteriological, and Doxological approaches are all really one and the same. They all point to Jesus. God's glory (the doxological approach) is revealed in the person of Jesus Christ. Salvation (the soteriological approach) is revealed in the person of Jesus Christ. And of course the Christological approach points directly to Jesus Christ.

    Just my humble opinion.

    By Blogger stroku, at 11/10/05 11:05 AM  

  • Kurt~
    Thanks for your comments. I hope to address this more fully as I circle back around to this topic. I think the answer is large enough to do a whole post on. I am in agreement with the book "Basic Bible Interpretation" by Roy B. Zuck, if that helps you .

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 11/10/05 11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Who Links Here