Truth Warrior

Monday, January 08, 2007

Sources of Knowledge: Intuition

Sources of Knowledge

Intuition

What is meant by intuition? Intuition is that which the normal or natural mind assumes to be true. The key word is "assumes". Yes, I do believe in a woman’s intuition. There are times when my wife just has a “feeling” about something, perhaps it's minor and on more than one occasion we have been in the midst of making a major decision; she will alert me that, "Something is not right here". When we have committed a matter to the Lord in prayer, and she questions a direction I think we ought to go we pause for more prayer. God is faithful in directing us, and I thank Him for the caution He gives us because of the intuition of my wife.

Is there such a thing as intuitive truth? Sure there is!

Is it ever wrong? Yes! We can not; we must not rely on intuition.

Some intuitive truths include, time and eternity; right from wrong; mathematical exactness; self existence; existence of matter; and even certain things about God.

These intuitions can and should be tested. Here are some "tests" of intuitive truth; it must be universal; it must be common to all man; it must be self evident (axiomatic); it must be self efficient. Having tested the value of intuition there are yet some limitations of intuition because intuition is not inspiration, therefore is limited as to what it communicates. Intuition is not verbal; therefore it does not speak in words. Finally intuition is not always precise, it has certain ideas but it can be distorted too.

Intuition is poor source of authority. Theologically I do not recommend hanging ones hat on intuition, and yet there are many who do. Dear reader if you are among them or if you are following those who do I urge you to be a good Berean. The Bereans, you may recall, searched the Scriptures daily to see if Paul and Silas were teaching the truth (see Acts 17:11). We have this same privileged responsibility and high calling today more than ever. It is proper for us to thank God for intuition and nonetheless continue to "...earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints." (Jude 3) This is clearly revealed in the Bible. Ya feel me?

In His fellowship,
Brother John

2 Comments:

  • Thats what Star Wars was all about. Trusting your feelings. In fact the last one even came right out when Obiwan shamed Anakin Skywalker for believing in absolutes as he went over to the dark side.

    The world trusts its intuitions and trys to merge them with scripture in some form in a Star Wars kind of way, but as we know the opposite is true in that if we hear the voice of our trainers they should be saying "Trust the Scriptures"

    BTW do like I do, "What was that honey? Did you say something?"

    Is Rose getting Rosier as I say that:-)

    No I would never do that to my wife...well only when she tells me that we ought to ask for directions when we get lost...hey I've got some dead reckoning skills carried over from the military and also who is my wife to tell me that me a TRUCK DRIVER should be asking for directions:-)

    Ah but remember when God did tell Abraham to listen to Sarah.

    By Blogger Bhedr, at 8/1/07 6:10 PM  

  • Hi Brian,
    Thanks for reading and the good comment.

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 9/1/07 7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Who Links Here