Truth Warrior

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Two Ordinances

For our study about the biblical distinctives of Baptists, the acrostic B A P T I S T S has been employed for our outline. We now come to the letter “T” which stands for the two ordinances of Baptism and Communion.

It is important at the start, to point out that there is a difference between what is meant by an ordinance and what is meant by a sacrament. Biblical Baptists hold that baptism and communion are ordinances, NOT sacraments. In fact, this blogger is unaware of any biblical or Baptist “sacrament.” An ordinance is an authoritative rule, law, decree, or command. In the Christian context, an ordinance is a symbolic act or ceremony. The two ordinances (and only two) that biblical Baptists practice, have their separate meanings. In contrast, a sacrament symbolizes and/or confers inward grace.

Some religious institutions sprinkle water on a baby’s head and teach that this act, when performed by a duly appointed “priest” removes original sin and regenerates the baby (the baby is said to be born-again) into a possible position of not having to go to hell if he or she should die before being conscience of personal sin. Others are immersed into water and believe that this is an act of salvation. These beliefs/practices are both referred to as “regenerational baptism.” To other groups, the sacrament of infant baptism indicates that the child is a part of the “Christian” family. This is said to be a counterpart to the circumcision of eight day old males in the Jewish nation, and allows Christian participation in the covenant nation of God, Israel. For an example of this I will refer to the baptismal certificate I received, March 1961, at Rosewood Presbyterian Church. It says:

“God the father, who has redeemed us by the sacrifice of Christ, is also the God and Father of our children. They belong, with us who believe, to the membership of the church through the covenant made in Christ, and confirmed to us by God in this Sacrament, which is a sign and seal of our cleansing, of our engrafting into Christ… This sacrament marks the reception of a new member into Christ’s Church. As a child of the covenant, he has been born into the household of God;”

According to this certificate, by virtue of my parents “Christianity”, I too became a member of this covenant community…but…God does not have any grandchildren! One can not be born again by the will of one’s parents (cf. John 1:13).

There are all kinds of ideas about baptism and communion, but what does the Bible say? Remember, for the biblical Baptist, it is the Bible that is to be our rule and authority in every matter for which it speaks!

The first ordinance we will consider is baptism. This is the initiation into a local church. Then, we will put communion under the spotlight of God’s Word.

By the way, I want to thank my readers for their patience with me, as the busy-ness of life and my lack of typing skills have collided at a high rate of speed resulting in slow posting.

6 Comments:

  • John, great post! I told you I would type for you if you just dictate.

    In life, in general, your steadiness is such a help for me. God bless you!

    BTW - your parents meant well when they baptised you. I am just glad that you were truly born again years later.

    By Blogger Rose~, at 9/11/05 12:27 PM  

  • Hi John,

    It's interesting in the Didache, an early church document (50 yrs within the time of the apostles) which served as a "commentary" on various church practices such as baptism--it speaks of a "believers baptism" (i.e. the kind you are talking about from a Baptist perspective), and that in fact the preferred methodology was indeed immersion (immerso. I think both scripture, as you're pointing out, and early church praxis substantiate the baptistic position as the normative method of baptism; and also points out that it is merely a "profession" and "identification" of faith by a particular individual.

    BTW, did you know, I'm sure you have come across this in your studies, that Ulrich Zwingli championed the "symbolic" notion of communion that you speak of; although I might be prone to think there might be a little more to it than that (i.e. the so called "Reformed Position" sees a "mystical" presence [e.g. not transubstantiation or consubstantiation] accompanying the reception of the juice). I'll be interested in what you have to say about the ordinance of communion.

    Thanks for the post, John, I am definitely baptistic in background myself (my dad is an ordained Conservative Baptist pastor).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/11/05 1:17 PM  

  • What Bobby said. Even the part about his father.

    By Blogger Jeremy Weaver, at 9/11/05 7:16 PM  

  • Rose~ me too! BTW Jeremy pointed out that one decision card here called for a re-dictation maybe that's what I need!

    Bobby~ thanks for stopping by again! I didn't know that about Zwingli, but now you've encouraged me to read more of this Swiss reformer. It is neat to hear about your godly heritage. Apparently you and Jeremy have some things in common. I'm glad to "get to know" fellow bloggers.

    Jeremy~ what I said about Bobby. Even the part about your godly heritage.

    (Rose taught me the html commenting!)

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 9/11/05 11:29 PM  

  • John,

    Great stuff! Oh, and what Bobby said about Zwingli and communion, I hold to that position, although Luther loathed him for it.

    Keep posting my brother!

    BTW-I bet I type slower than you--Na,Na!

    By Blogger mark pierson, at 10/11/05 12:18 PM  

  • brother bluecollar,
    Thank you for the encouragement! Yes, I understand that many who felt the way Zwingli did died for that reason. I appreciate your comments.

    brother John

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 10/11/05 12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Who Links Here