Truth Warrior

Monday, August 20, 2007

Setting Hearts on Things Above

Colossians 3:1-17 NIV

Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.

Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. Because of these, the wrath of God is coming. You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived. But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips. Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator. Here there is no Greek or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all.

Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.

Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.


God has been transforming my heart and mind to conform to His image through the power of His Word. Have you noticed Him at work in your life too? Please tell us about it so we may be mutually encouraged.

Blessings upon you,
Brother John

7 Comments:

  • John, Good to hear the Lord is at work in you through His word. He's been busy over here too. Teaching me what love really is, the importance of the individual (as opposed to the institution) in their walk to God through Jesus Christ, and teaching me the balance of money and faith. It's been a real trip. Can't wait to get to the destination!

    By Blogger jeff, at 25/8/07 8:59 AM  

  • John,

    I meant to reply to this earlier.

    God has been very gracious in my life. Right now it seems to center on how God answers prayers in his own way -- not according to my preconcieved expectations. God has been adjusting my thinking in that way, that God does not fit inside my box that I want to place around him. In some ways, God did not answer the prayer the way I wanted him to, such as take away something, or give a particular thing that I thought would be godly and helpful to the family -- but instead transformed the whole thing to such a wonderful blessing.

    I don't want to give specifics over the public Internet, but those are such joyful answers that God gave that it expands my mind in its transformation.

    Just a little bit of how God is working in my life.

    By Blogger Earl Flask, at 26/8/07 7:27 PM  

  • Thank you brother, for this opportunity! You know, it is interesting. I weon't try to write it all out here, it'd be too long, but the Lord works in a wondrous way! He is so wonderful!! (Ps.107:2,9) But what I wanted to say was this: There is a debate (I don't like them, but the Lord can use them sometimes for His purposes, I believe) among brethren (& sisterns!) about what is commonly called the "crossless" Gospel vs the "checklist" Gospel. If you've not encountered it, check out some of the blogs, including Rose's excellent one. I appreciated her take on it best of all, & I'd say that to anyone that asked! OK, back off the rabbit trail! The Lord seems to use sometimes very painful questions that are sometimes raised in my mind to force me to think Scripturally & apply it to hard questions. Then He will often use someone to help me "see" some truths I had not heretofore, & voila, growth! (2 Pe.3:18) Someone said that a tree grows likethis. The real, fast grwoth happens only a month of so out of the year, with the rest of the year being taken up with assimilating that growth into thetree & preparing the way for the next growth "spurt" so to speak. The Lord seems to work that way in me. I thank Him, though the process is sometimes excruciating to me. He knows when to pour on the heat, & when to pour in the healing balm. Bro. John, your blog is often that balm. Thanks & God Bless.

    By Blogger David Wyatt, at 26/8/07 8:46 PM  

  • Hi Jeff,
    Good to see you again, I am gaining much from God through His Word, prayer, fellowship with other believers, and witnessing. There are plenty of challenges in each area, but much joy and gladness too! Keep up the good work brother; I know the ministry, however great or small is no minor service in Christ. Be encouraged those you minister to are growing too.

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 28/8/07 6:21 AM  

  • Earl,
    That's is a blessing to hear. God is at work in our live in unexpected ways.

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 28/8/07 7:12 AM  

  • Hi David,

    Psalm 107:2 and 9
    Let the redeemed of the LORD say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;For he satisfieth the longing soul, and filleth the hungry soul with goodness.

    2 Pe.3:18
    But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.

    Thanks for your insights on the growth of a tree. That makes sense.

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 28/8/07 7:18 AM  

  • Thanks bro. John. It made sense when I read it as well. Of course it's not original with me! Thanks again for this blog.

    By Blogger David Wyatt, at 29/8/07 8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Who Links Here