Truth Warrior

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

What is Biblical Love? (2)

I started to post on biblical love in the recent past and I am now returning to the subject. When we read the many times in Scripture that God demonstrates His love in this; that He sent or gave especially His Son, we should be able to muster the mental prowess to surmise that love is more than emotionalism, sentimentality, and romance. Those may be fine attributes, they may be part of having loving feelings and I do not wish to downplay or diminish these qualities. However, biblical love is more, much more. It is demonstrable, it is giving, forgiving, and it is gracious, among other characteristics that I may or may not get to (I want to do short posts).

A wise counselor gave me this definition of love and for no extra charge I will share it with you.

Love is giving of oneself to another/others for their benefit without demanding or expecting anything in return.

I wish I knew who originally said this because it is so rich. I do, on the other hand, know some one who put this principle into motion and He is none less that God Himself. Hear His Word, heed His Word. Here are some verses you can read on this topic.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (John 3:16)

I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. (Galatians 2:20)

Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children; And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour. Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; (Ephesians 5:1-2; and v. 25)

In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him. Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another. (1John 4: 9-11)

But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. (Romans 5:8)

Love is the giving of myself for the benefit of others without expecting anything in return.

Please add your thoughts to this and help me to expand mine.

Be a blessing,
Brother John

6 Comments:

  • "Love is giving of oneself to another/others for their benefit without demanding or expecting anything in return."

    I disagree.

    Hebrews 11
    6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

    In faith, we believe that if we love God, He will be good to us.

    You love your wife, but you know that in loving her, she will hopefully love you back. It is a two-way relationship. You could still love her even if she did not love you back, but that is not the norm for a married relationship.

    We should love God because if we do, He will reward us with life in more abundance and a life in the kingdom that is adorned with privileges and blessings.

    God Bless

    Matthew

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at 6/9/07 3:38 AM  

  • What is biblical love?
    I believe it is God Himself, which is what you have said. It is Isaiah 53, it is the greatest among us will be servants.

    you said:
    "Love is the giving of myself for the benefit of others without expecting anything in return."

    I totally agree. 1 Cor. 13 defines this love.
    Shameless plug: I discovered something today while studing a passage in Gal. today. If you would take time to give it a look I would appreciate it.
    Thanks, John
    http://okie-dokies.blogspot.com/

    By Blogger Kris, at 7/9/07 12:34 AM  

  • Hi Kris,

    Thanks for you comment and the "shameless plug".

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 7/9/07 5:21 AM  

  • Hi Matthew,

    I wouldn't expect you to agree... I love you still.

    John

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 7/9/07 5:23 AM  

  • Hello, John!

    I was so pleased to see you and Rose reasoning away a few months ago when Mike and I were thinking of you and did a quick search for you.

    If you would like to see some of what we have been up to go to my blogger site for a link to our homeschool blog. Lots of pictures of the kids there!

    Take Care and hope to keep up with your blogs.

    It has been of the Lord that I have been directed in my quiet time to the same or similar biblical subjects before reading your blogs. How neat to see that!

    As for biblical love. I do think that when we can love more unconditionally it is 'easier' though we are not perfect in this yet it is a blessing that brings much joy to learn more of love daily.

    I have been reading more about the holocaust and the communist prison camps and the thing that strikes me the most from these accounts of christians loving their enemies is that they do it FOR Christ and THROUGH Christ it is not something really of ourselves. Just as the Lord is the one that saved us and preserves us through the work of the Holy Spirit He is the one that helps us love as He loves.

    Will you be writing on loving our enemies? I have in recent years ( this one in particular) been amazed at how many enemies the average christian can have! I again am not perfect in yielding to the Holy Spirit in situations that I may feel angry from hurt or fearful when harmed but I am coming to understand this is part of the christian life and MUST be accepted as yet another area to be stretched in.
    Luke 6 has been a source of wonder and examination for me this year. I just can't stop going back to it.

    Well thanks for the blessing brother.

    Love, Jacinda

    By Blogger Jacinda, at 7/9/07 8:46 AM  

  • Hi Jacinda,

    What a blessing, and honor to have you visit here.
    Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions. I do hope to post more on this topic when I get to it. Tell mike I said “Hi”.

    I will visit your blog.

    We love you two… too,
    Brother John

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 8/9/07 7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Who Links Here