Truth Warrior

Friday, September 21, 2007

Pre-Tribulation Rapture is the Best Position

The idea of a pre-tribulation rapture is by far the best position to hold to.

For those who may not be in an eschatological frame of mind, allow me to bring you into this discussion. Eschatology is the study of the end times. When someone is discussing the end times, future events, and prophecy concerning “the end of the world”, they are discussing Eschatology. I am going to focus a bit in this theological discipline.

The word “rapture", is an English word which comes from the Latin word raeptius; which is a translation of the Koine Greek word harpazo, which is translated “cauht up” in 1 Thessalonians 4:17 “Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.”

To be clear, when I speak about the rapture, I am not speaking of the “second coming”, or a second advent. The Second Advent is the time when Jesus will once again come to earth. When He comes a second time He will not be a baby in a manger, or a “Lamb for the slaughter”, but a King, and as the Lion of Judah. Yes, I do believe in a very literal thousand year earthly rule of King Jesus. That is known as the millennium. The word millennium means thousand (1,000) and is used in Revelation 20. This period of time will begin at the second coming of the Lord Jesus Christ. He will descend to earth with His host of saints that have been affirmed in holiness to rule and reign for one thousand (1,000) years. The rapture is not the second coming and the second coming is not the rapture.

The rapture is an event that will occur in history when as quoted above “…the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.” I intend to demonstrate why the idea of a pre-tribulation rapture is by far the best position to hold to, before I can, I need to make a few more brief clarifications.

When I speak of the tribulation I am speaking of a literal seven (7) year period of time when God will be actively pouring out “trouble” on the earth. This is also called “the time of Jacobs’s trouble” or the seventieth weak of Daniel. I will refer to it as the tribulation. Yes, I believe in a literal seven (7) year tribulation. I must make one more point before I can unveil why the best position is the pre-tribulation rapture view.

There are several views of the rapture in relation to the tribulation; one of the most profound is the partial rapture view another is multiple raptures. The latest view is the pre-wrath rapture view, which is really the old mid-tribulation view repackaged, I will not take time to explain these. I will be dealing with the three most prominent views which are pre-tribulation (the best view), mid-tribulation, and post-tribulation. You may have guessed it; pre-tribulation view (which is the best view) is that the rapture will occur before the tribulation. The mid-tribulation view is that half way through the tribulation the rapture will occur. Finally, the post-tribulation view is that the rapture will occur after the tribulation.

The best position is the pre-tribulation rapture view and I will explain why on my next post.

11 Comments:

  • I wish I could agree with you.

    Everyone who is sound in doctrine is Pre-Tribulational. With the exception of myself, of course.

    It is lonely being an extreme Dispensationalist who is Post-Trib.

    God Bless

    Matthew

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at 21/9/07 6:10 PM  

  • I have to respectfully correct you. The Prewrath view is not the old mid-trib view repackaged. If any thing, it is simliar to the post-trib view. Further, the mid-trib position is not prominent any more. By far the prewrath view is held by many more thinkers today than the mid-trib view.

    An accurate description of all the positions, including the Prewrath view, can be found here:

    http://www.prewrathrapture.com/2005/11/the_prewrath_rapture_1.php

    Thanks,
    Alan

    By Blogger Alan E. Kurschner, at 21/9/07 9:10 PM  

  • Matthew,
    Perhaps you will become pre-trib when I demonstrate the logic of why it is the best view or at the rapture which ever comes first. I know you have been waiting for these posts ;-)

    John

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 22/9/07 5:59 AM  

  • Alan,
    Welcome to “The Earnest Contender Blogspot”. It is always nice to have others join in.

    Thank you for your respect, I was not able to access the site you mentioned. I have read, and re-read Marvin Rosenthal’s little book on the subject and I thought he presented his case honestly and accurately as he understood it. I have also read a review or two on this subject. Please forgive me for any inaccuracies you feel I have made.

    I wish I could access that site since my knowledge is obviously limited, and in this case, to a book that is not accurate in its description of the mid-wrath view.

    John

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 22/9/07 5:59 AM  

  • John,

    Thanks for your response. I tried different browsers and they all worked, so not sure why you were not able to access the site. Try the hompage here:

    http://www.prewrathrapture.com/

    Hope that helps,
    Thanks,
    Alan

    By Blogger Alan E. Kurschner, at 22/9/07 11:42 AM  

  • Hi Brother Allen,
    I found your site through a Google search yesterday. I was able to access the article by Charles Cooper this morning. I printed out the post and I will give my attention when I have an opportunity (hopefully latter today). Having worked out many of the objections pro and con in the past, and being with a strong supporter of Friends of Israel, I may still be biased away from it.

    It was very heart wrenching when Marvin left behind a ministry that he helped to shape. He was the spearhead, the point man, the main leader who guided FOI to make a very strong pre-trib statement of fellowship. My heart is still saddened by the loss of such a great man of God and defender of the faith. Getting over hurt, bitterness, and true sorrow are not always so instant for me, but forgiveness is my first and strongest defense against these negative and destructive forces that rage inside my soul. Much good has come from it.

    You will still want to find out why the pre-trib position is the best. My post will be forth coming.

    In His time,
    Brother John

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 23/9/07 6:43 AM  

  • John,

    Thanks for your response. Indeed, it was a difficult time for many people when he had to leave. And of course as you may know Rosenthal tell of his experience at the beginning of his book.

    I look forward to reading your article.

    Alan

    By Blogger Alan E. Kurschner, at 23/9/07 6:04 PM  

  • John, was'nt Marvin forced to leave beacause he could not agree with the pre-Trib rapture.

    Do you think he should have acted against his conscience.

    With respect, I believe it is fundamentally wicked to force Christians to sign up to a statement of belief that requires them to hold specific beliefs about eschatology.

    If we are united in Christ, what is eschatology to separate us?

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at 24/9/07 3:12 AM  

  • Matthew,

    Q: John, was'nt Marvin forced to leave beacause he could not agree with the pre-Trib rapture.

    A: I don't remember.

    Q: Do you think he should have acted against his conscience.

    A: Of all the cheek! NO! of course not.

    Q: If we are united in Christ, what is eschatology to separate us?


    A: I think there are some fundamental issues on interpretation that may separate true Christians ecclesiastically, but we are all one in Christ. The Holy Spirit is He that unites us not the building we worship in.

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 24/9/07 7:02 AM  

  • If we are united in Christ, should we not meet on the basis of our unity in Christ and not on the basis of our particular beliefs on eschatology?

    If we make agreement on eschatology a requirement of our fellowship, we are saying that is more important than our unity in Christ.

    God Bless

    Matthew

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at 24/9/07 10:50 AM  

  • Q: If we are united in Christ, should we not meet on the basis of our unity in Christ and not on the basis of our particular beliefs on eschatology?

    A: Since we are united in Christ we should meet together for several reasons:
    Authority of the Bible is one reason; Acceptance and fellowship is certainly another; Academics, instruction and training are very important; Accountability, counsel or partnering another; Affirmation, to encourage one another, let’s see where can I stick a strong pre-trib rapture position in here… hmm… only Amillennialism would fit. :-)

    Q: If we make agreement on eschatology a requirement of our fellowship, we are saying that is more important than our unity in Christ.

    A: We would be saying we are united in doctrine and practice.
    :-) :-) :-)

    Blessings to you,
    John

    By Blogger J. Wendell, at 28/9/07 6:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Who Links Here